Apr 3, 2008

Record Review: She and Him - Volume One (A)


Volume One

Merge Records
03/18/2008

Just when I thought I'd heard the best record I'd hear all week, I happened across M. Ward's newest project. Arising after he and collaborator Zooey Deschanel were brought together to cover a Richard and Linda Thompson tune for the movie The Go-Getter, She and Him - Volume One is an instant classic. It combines Ward's haunting arrangements with the smooth, beautiful voice of Zooey Deschanel. On first listen I began to wonder if I wasn't listening to Jenny Lewis. Famous as an actress, Deschanel carries the vocal weight here, and reportedly wrote most of the lyrics. Matt occasionally gets a few words in, but its his musicianship that pulls it together. If you like Jenny Lewis mostly for her voice, or for that matter if you like Patsy Cline at all, you should buy this album right now. If you're just dying to hear M. Ward craft and sing another lyrical masterpiece, you'll have to wait a bit longer, but to give an update, his backup lyrics on "You Really Got a Hold on Me" are perfect.

No comments: